It is located seven km south west of Karlovasi and a bit to the south of Ydrousa. The name derives from the first person that moved to the area, a shepherd by the name of Konstantinos Kontos from the village of Platanos. He settled in the area in 1750.
It is surrounded by green hills and it’s invisible from the sea.The village counts some 340 permanent residents.
The residents are occupied in agriculture and especially olives and vines while earlier they were also cultivating tobacco.